In 2013, according to the National Retail Federation, $815 million was spent on Valentine’s gifts for pets. Amazing, right? Crazy gifts like hats with hearts and fru-fru ribbon collars, dog cakes, pendants, and fur coats make up the list of things people purchase for their pets. On the heels of Valentine’s Day comes Love Your Pet Day on Feb. 20. You may want to wait on purchasing for the 14th and pick up some items on sale for the 20th instead!
Below are seven ideas for gifts for your favorite furry friend – some are a bit more on the practical side, others just look like fun!
- A “Thundershirt” to help alleviate your dog’s anxiety (due to loud noises, travel, house guests and more).
- A “Chuckit! dog fetch toy (we love the no-slobber, hands free pick up on this toy).
- 101 Dog Tricks, Step-by-Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with your Dog; by Kyra Sundance, Chalcy.
- Furminator deShedding Tools to reduce the amount of loose hair for shedding (for cats, dogs and other small animals).
- Collapsible Travel Food/Water bowl for when you travel with your pet.
- A Sherpa Puff Ball Pet Bed is a comfortable beanbag bed sized for cats or small dogs, and the cover is removable for easy washing.
- SuperCat Catnip Caves are sprayed with catnip-scented bubbles that burst when rubbed, buffed, crumpled or scratched. Nanotech for your feline!
Don’t forget, your pet will always love extra time with you too! Plan for a special outing or walk or just spend some time playing or cuddling. Don’t forget the treats to make it more fun!